Friday, April 2, 2010

What's Your Pick For National Poetry Month?

In many of my workshops, I begin the day by reading a short poem to help students settle down and rev up the visual imagination. Sometimes a poem becomes inspiration for a piece, sometimes it just helps set a mood, and sometimes it helps me make a point. For example, I might read Pamela Alexander's poem Manners as a reminder to not be so focused on what something is "supposed" to be (i.e. hoping for a heron") that we overlook the potential of the wolf drooling on the rug.

April is National Poetry Month in the U.S. I'd love to hear what poems inspire you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend Leslie commented on the feed to this post on Facebook with "Anything By Mary Oliver." So I found a site, and wanted to share:

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/m_r/oliver/online_poems.htm

Unknown said...

Check out Becka's poem at Becka's Project Journal