Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Weight Loss Miracle

Sunday night I needed a small piece of felt. Lazy me didn't want to go out in the cold and dark to get it from the studio. I got to thinking and lo and behold, there was felt in a box in the basement. It's been there since we moved into the new house in 2001. Last year I opened a box down there and found cans of soup. I have no idea why I packed soup that way, moved it, and stored it down there.

But our move was nothing compared to this one: The Helen Louise Allen Textile Collection recently finished packing for a move to new quarters. I've enjoyed reading about the move on their blog. In one of their posts from last summer, they were purging items.
Like many offices and other workspaces, we had over time acquired extra copies of this and that as well as our share of outdated office products. Out they went! No more boxes of typewriter ribbons for us, thanks.
Other people seem to be getting in the spirit, as well. Mayflower reports that average moving weight has decreased since 1997 by 10%, with a 2% drop from 2007 to 2008. It's a weight loss miracle. I don't know if it means people are moving into smaller, more sustainable homes or if they're just tired of having so much stuff they can't find anything. We call that "three double boilers syndrome." That's when you keep so much stuff that you can't find what you need when you need it -- so you go out and buy another one.

The two boxes of felt stuff in the basement are going out to the studio today. Space is tight out there, so I know I have to make decisions: Keep or donate. Hmm.

Sievers has a garage sale at The Gathering in October, with proceeds going to worthy causes. One year that was the Island's K-12 school art department, which at the time had an annual budget for materials of $100. Total.

The Textile Center also takes donations for their annual garage sale in April. This is an important fundraiser for the organization, as well as an unbelievable opportunity for great bargains. I helped price and sort one year and could not believe the amount and quality of donations. If you think you might be able to volunteer at this event, there's information at the bottom of this page.

I feel lighter already.

1 comment:

Daryl said...

We'd need two Mayflower vans for all the crap we have accumulated over 26 years in this house. :-(