Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dumpster Diving -- Global Edition

For the record, it's not true that for fun, rural folks all go to the dump to watch the bears. Trash is now handled in ways less attractive to the local Yogis at what is now technically known as the "transfer station" but popularly called "the exchange." You never know what you'll find there. Or in other dumpsters, for that matter.

One of my superpowers is D-ray vision, which lets me scan the contents of trash containers at conferences and rescue perfectly good materials. I also try to pass materials along to people who can use what I can't, or what I can't reasonably transport home.

In that spirit, I'm passing along three links today: One for inspiration, one for opportunity, and one to maybe spark an idea.

Inspiration
Mr. X Stitch just posted a great story about the work of Frederique Morrell, a French couple who give vintage materials new life in their artwork and home decor products. I can only hope that the cross-stitch project I began in 1975 and sold unfinished at a garage sale 25 years later should be put to such use.

Opportunity
Our neighbors up the road own The Hammock Shop, where they make and sell fabric hammocks in a beautiful array of amazing fabrics. Most of those fabrics were originally designed to be used in high-end commercial upholstery.

Recently, Shawn and Stephanie donated a whole trailer full of remnants to the local thrift shop. When a roll gets under 2 yards, it isn't enough to make a hammock or a blanket. They just don't have the space to store what they can't expect to use soon. So Shawn contacted me earlier this week with the kind of offer you can't refuse.

But I did. I (gulp) don't have room for it. Or an immediate use, either.

Maybe you do? If so, let me introduce you to my neighbors...

A Spark
One last introduction. Recently I read about a program in California called Trash 4 Teaching. Their mission is minimizing waste, maximizing education, and bridging the gap between manufacturing and the public schools. Here's the best part:
Use of our unique materials encourages critical thinking and fuels the imagination by challenging children and teachers to find creative applications for non-traditional objects.
So there you have it -- a quick dip in dumpster pools from France to Langlade to LA. Refreshing.

No comments: