In workshops where I use the Talk To The Hand exercise I shared last week, I sometimes ask this questions: What's the opposite of [fill in the blank -- some idea/concept/thing]? Yesterday, I used a warm-up that takes opposites to a new level. Here's how to do it.
- Open the dictionary to a random page, close your eyes, and point to an entry.
- Copy that word on a fresh page in your sketchbook.
- Now write it backward. For example, Auspice became Ecipsua.
- Write a definition for this new word.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Quickly sketch or collage something inspired by this definition.