Saturday, November 28, 2009

Art & Artichokes


Fiber artists are often gardeners, as well. While teaching a recent class for a basketry guild, the lovely lady who hosted me gave me my first taste of Jerusalem artichoke. I’ve heard of them, seen them in the Fedco catalog, but never knew anyone who grew them. This generous gardener sent me home with a tub of tubers. They’re now in the cold room in the basement, ready to be planted in spring.

According to this extension service fact sheet, “sunchokes” are native to North America, “extremely vigorous and will compete strongly with weeds.” I’m reading between the lines and thinking of an out-of-the-way spot for this crop.

Sunchokes can even be used to make beer and wine. Something else to experiment with next year.

2 comments:

Nancy DeVries said...

They do spread far and fast! But they are worth it. They are delicious raw in salads (similar to a water chestnut) or cooked. Yum!

Unknown said...

My benefactor also sent me home with a jar of sunchoke relish, a sweet pickle with a satisfying crunch. I added it to tuna salad for lunch. Let 'em spread!