Monday, October 11, 2010

No More Mickeying Around

At one time, my studio housed equipment for the highway department. For about 20 years, it was the store and central meeting place for our whitewater canoe and kayak school. When we closed that business, it became my studio. We've done some work on the building, and it's paid for, which I love. But it's fall. The flies and Asian lady beetles are swarming in the front windows. And I have a mouse problem -- again.

Old fashioned mouse deterrent -- can lids nailed over holes in floor.
In a rural area, at this time of year the mice are trying to get comfy for the winter. I'm fine with them being snug and happy -- elsewhere. But I don't go and poop in their space, and I'd prefer that they show me the same consideration.

It's my own fault. Over the years, I've collected too much stuff in my studio. Most of it is in plastic bins so it's protected -- assuming I don't get distracted and leave a lid off, or stuff it so full the lid won't shut tight. But there are too many places for mice to feel safe while they poop on my shelves.

So I'm in the midst of a cleaning/thinning/dejunkifying process. This is a guarantee that within six weeks I'll have a pressing need for something I just pitched or took to the thrift store.

Cleaning Day
Still, it feels good. It's like I'm giving myself permission to:
  • not finish that pile of stuff from class demos this year.
  • not finish that pile of stuff from class demos five years ago.
  • not pursue those ideas that seemed brilliant eight years ago (if they were so brilliant, I would have pursued them by now).
  • not keep a dib of this and a dab of that (I'm thrifty, but the stuff was all dried up).
  • not hoard every little scrap of fabric (except the silks).
As I declutter my studio, I'm decluttering my head. This is something I've been working on for a few weeks. I've needed to let go of some possibilities and quit letting them distract me from the work I need to be doing now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll open a can of beans for supper. Those are my favorite lids to nail over mouse holes.

2 comments:

Sherri Woodard Coffey said...

Love your list! I may borrow it with a few changes. Fabric scraps are not my problem, but there are many scraps of other kinds-figuratively speaking.

Donna Kallner said...

Be my guest, Sherri -- of course, the list was a lot longer but in keeping with the theme I decided to trim it down!