Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Recharged

Last weekend I was on the road again, but this time it wasn't to teach or take a class. I went to a Festival of American Basketry event in Iowa's historic Amana Colonies to spend time with people I treasure and to get a creative boost. Your mileage may vary, but I find that 12 or 14 hours in the car gives me some quality time to reflect, mull, plot, wonder, and discover patterns and possibilities that might elude me among the distractions of home and hearth. Beyond that, I had a chance to learn some new tricks, got helpful feedback from artists I respect and admire, and coerced them into to modeling a few pieces from my looping trunk show while I took pictures.


And on the way home I hit paydirt at my #1 thrift shop -- where they had just moved a small mountain of good stuff to the 50 cent bins in the back. I cleaned up, and still had enough drive time left to think about how to refashion a couple of pieces.

So thank you, Joanna Schanz, who for years has organized the Festival of American Basketry and Willow Weekend, another Amana basketry tradition (held each year in February). Once again, I've returned from Amana recharged, excited, and feeling connected to a community.

Where do you go for a jump start?

No comments: