- Spill. Scoop a few handfuls of lentils onto a solid-color placemat or dish towel.
- Spread. Spread the lentils into a relatively even layer.
- Doodle. Run your fingers through the lentils, playing with pattern.
- Spread. Spread the lentils back into a relatively even layer.
- Paint. Move lentils to draw a shape and add features or highlights or shadows. Think of this as dry fingerpainting.
Cinderella's Slow-Cooker Soup
2 cups red lentils
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, sliced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 28 oz. can petite dice tomatoes
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 14-oz. can lite coconut milk
Rinse the lentils and add to the crock pot. Add remaining ingredients except coconut milk. Plug in the slow cooker or crock pot and go get your paperwork done. (Appliances differ, so guess on the setting and cooking time or find a slow-cooker split pea soup recipe for guidance.) Before serving, add the can of coconut milk and heat through. Optional: add a dollop of plain yogurt to each bowl of soup and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.